Wry Neck physio East Grinstead
The term “wry neck” describes a condition whereby the neck suddenly becomes stiff and painful. Turning the head to the side (usually one side more than the other) and looking up can cause a severe “catching” pain. The muscles on one or both sides of the neck may also go into spasm and pain may be felt from the base of the skull right down to the shoulder blade and outwards to the top of the shoulder.
WHAT CAUSES OF WRY NECK?
There are various causes, the most common being:
- Poor sleeping posture such as positioning of pillows.
- A sudden flicking or jerking of the head.
- Viral Infections.
- Exposure to cold weather.
TREATMENT OF WRY NECK
In most cases, if treated immediately by the physio, wrynecks respond exceptionally well to treatment in 3-4 days. Mobilisations and heat are applied to loosen the neck joints and reduce the pain and muscle spasm.
HOME TREATMENT FOR WRY NECK
- Go out in the cold without being well appropriate clothes.
- Hold the neck still or overprotect.
- Sit or lie with the neck in an awkward position
- Keep warm.
- Use a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel or hot showers for pain relief.
- Keep your neck moving within the pain-free range.
- Take pain medication if your pain is severe.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION see your local Physiotherapist.
Click here to https://anrc-uk.com/physiotherapyfind your closest ANRC Physio clinic
FOR MORE INFORMATION see your local Physio Practitioner.